The CNY Diaper Bank, a local nonprofit that collects diapers for families in need, encourages community members to participate in its activities in honor of National Diaper Need Awareness Week Sept. 23-29. The week was created in 2012 by the National Diaper Bank Network to raise awareness and mobilize efforts to end local diaper need, a hidden consequence of poverty. In Syracuse alone, 50% of children under 5 years old live in poverty, and diapers become a cost many families can’t afford.
“We are so thankful for the community’s help in preventing diaper need in our area,” said Michela Hugo, founder of the CNY Diaper Bank. “An adequate supply of diapers for a single child can cost $100 per month, and since there is no public safety net for diapers, thousands of families in Central New York face diaper need.”
“Children left in soiled diapers are at risk for infections, and suffer prolonged crying and interrupted sleep. Moms who face diaper need have heightened anxiety, stress levels and are more likely to experience depression. Diaper need can cause parents to miss work or school, since children cannot attend daycare without a supply of diapers. This also causes children to miss out on early education opportunities. The good news is—diaper need is a problem we can all help with. Supporting the CNY Diaper Bank with dollars or diapers ensures more local babies stay clean, dry and healthy,” concluded Hugo.
Activities throughout the week will give people of all ages the opportunity to support the CNY Diaper Bank and to help prevent diaper need in Central New York.
Barre3 and Lululemon Syracuse will host a donation-based workout to benefit the CNY Diaper Bank at 6 p.m. on Friday Sept. 27 at the barre3 studio in the DeWitt Marshall’s Plaza, 3401 Erie Blvd E. Donations can be made in the form of a check made out to the “CNY Diaper Bank Inc.” or cash. Those interested in participating can register online by visiting https://barre3.com/studio-locations/syracuse.
The CNY Diaper Bank, in partnership with Syracuse University Athletics, will hold a diaper drive before the Sept. 28 football game against Holy Cross. Central New Yorkers can bring diapers to help stuff the “Otto Car,” which will be located on the “the Quad” from 9 a.m to noon. The diaper bank accepts all clean and usable diapers, and has a major need for sizes 5 and 6.
The CNY Diaper Bank, the driving force behind bringing Diaper Need Awareness Week to Syracuse, is a volunteer-run nonprofit that works with 30 partner agencies in the area to distribute 80,000 diapers to local babies and toddlers each month. Since its inception, the organization has distributed more than 1.5 million diapers.
Due to the increasing amount of diaper contributions, the CNY Diaper Bank recently moved to a new location at Pioneer Warehousing and Distribution, 4645 Crossroads Park Drive in Liverpool. The organization is leasing an office space, and Pioneer has donated warehouse space for storage as well as a loading dock allowing the diaper bank to bring in truckloads of diapers at a time.
The CNY Diaper Bank was founded in May 2016 after Hugo learned that local agencies were forced to turn away families in need of diapers. Hugo used the support and guidance of the National Diaper Bank Network to start a diaper bank in Syracuse. Families in poverty spend nearly 15% of their income on diapers, and though diapers are an essential basic need for babies, they are not covered by SNAP or WIC benefits.
Diaper Need Awareness Week is the perfect time to:
- Count and wrap diapers for distribution in Central New York. Sign up to volunteer and get notified about future events at cnydiaperbank.org/events.
- Attend a workout at barre3 to raise funds for the CNY Diaper Bank. Sign up at https://barre3.com/studio-locations/syracuse.
- Bring diapers to the S.U. football game Sept. 28. Drop-off will be available on “the Quad” from 9 a.m-12 p.m. Sizes 5 and 6 are especially needed.
- Hold a Diaper Need Awareness Week “Dollars for Diapers” drive on Facebook, at work, school or in the neighborhood. One dollar donated to the organization will keep one baby or toddler clean and dry for an entire day. Learn more about how to hold your own diaper drive using the CNY Diaper Bank’s “Diaper Drive Toolkit.”
- Donate directly: Monetary donations can be made online at www.cnydiaperbank.org/donate, and checks can be made out to “CNY Diaper Bank Inc.” and mailed to: CNY Diaper Bank, P.O. Box 367, Manlius, N.Y. 13104. The CNY Diaper Bank uses donations to purchase diapers in bulk at less than half the cost of retail price.
For more information on how to donate to the organization or for more ways to get involved, please visit www.cnydiaperbank.org.
About CNY Diaper Bank: The Central New York Diaper Bank is a nonprofit that was created in 2016 to help social service organizations in the Syracuse area distribute diapers to families in need. It is a part of the National Diaper Bank Network. CNY Diaper Bank’s mission is to ensure that all Central New York families have access to an adequate supply of diapers, and to build awareness of diaper need in our community.